Los Angeles: Recently, Federal officials received an unsubstantiated potential threat, which indicated an attack would take place at a shopping mall in the general vicinity of the Federal Building in the West Los Angeles area. No specific mall was named. The information indicated the attack would occur on April 29, 2004. As of now, the information is uncorroborated and the credibility of the source is unknown.
We have directed additional patrols and asked retail-shopping complexes (malls) to exhibit an enhanced level of security during this time frame. This matter is being investigated aggressively by the Los Angeles Joint Terrorism Task Force.
The following suspicious activity may indicate pre-operational targeting by terrorists. Detection efforts should focus on reporting incidents similar to the following:
- Multiple sightings of the same suspicious person, vehicle or activity at the same location.
- Individuals or activities that don’t "fit" into the surrounding environment.
- Individuals sitting in a parked vehicle for an extended period of time.
- Person (s) sketching/taking notes, photographing or videotaping areas or buildings not normally associated with tourist activity.
- Clothing out of place for the weather, i.e. wearing a heavy coat in hot weather.
- Person(s) carrying unusually heavy bags or backpacks.
- Individual(s) setting down backpacks, bags or suitcases and then walking away.
- Vehicles, especially vans, U-Hauls, or delivery trucks, improperly parked or parked in locations not normally associated with deliveries.
- Follow your instincts – if "something" doesn’t look right, it might not be.
If you observe suspicious activity of this type, for your safety, take no direct action but immediately call 1-877-A-THREAT (1-877-284-7328) or in case of an emergency, dial 911.
This news advisory was prepared by Public Information Office, Media Relations Section, at 213-485-3586.