Chief Selection Criteria To Be Presented To Los Angeles Police Commission By Blue Ribbon Committee
"Chief Selection Criteria To Be Presented To Los Angeles Police Commission By Blue Ribbon Committee"
Tuesday, August 27, 2002 9:30 am
Los Angeles Police Commission Meeting, 150 North Los Angeles Street, Room 146, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Los Angeles Police Commission President Rick J. Caruso, Vice President David S. Cunningham, III, Herbert Boeckmann, II, Rose Ochi, Silvia Saucedo
Blue Ribbon Committee (all members may not be present) In alphabetical order:
William Allen, Albert DeBlanc, Miguel Contreras, Rabbi Abraham Cooper, Jeff Donfeld, Patricia Glaser, Antonio Gonzalez, Howard Halm, Lorri Jean, Ann Reiss Lane, Ann I. Park, Page Miller, Connie Rice, Luis Rodriguez, Bishop Kenneth Ulmer
The Blue Ribbon Committee was selected by the members of the Los Angeles Police Commission to assist in the development of criteria for selection of the next Chief of Police. The Committee members have met with topic experts, reviewed the material from seven public meetings held by the Police Commission, analyzed the results from a public survey administered by the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department, and crafted a succinct document which will assist the Los Angeles Police Commissioners.
UPDATE ON THE PROCESS:
With the criteria prepared by the Blue Ribbon Committee now in hand, the Los Angeles Police Commissioners will review the list of candidates for interview consideration. After the interviews are complete, the Police Commission shall forward a list of three finalists, in order of preference, to the Mayor for final selection.
Please note that as this is a personnel matter, the list of candidates will not be released, nor will interview information be released.
Blue Ribbon Committee
– former founding President and CEO of the Economic Alliance of the San Fernando Valley in 2000, who is also the President of Meadowlane Enterprises and Meadowlane Music
– a former Los Angeles Police sergeant and member of the Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission who is now an attorney and is active in community and civic affairs
– Executive Secretary-Treasurer for the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
Rabbi Abraham Cooper
– Associate Dean at the Simon Wiesenthal Center
– a partner in the firm Donfeld, Kelley and Rollman and a former staff assistant to President Richard Nixon
– a partner in the law firm of Christensen, Miller, Fink, Glaser, Weil and Shapiro and an active member of the community
– President of the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project
– a partner in a law firm and former President of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Lorri L. Jean
– Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Ann Reiss Lane
– former Los Angeles Police Commissioner, now Chair for Women Against Gun Violence
Ann I. Park
– attorney with the firm Burke, Williams & Sorensen and former President of the Korean American Bar Association
– advocate for the Senior Lead Officer program and active community member
– Co-Director of the Advancement Project, a public policy and legal action group
– a Deputy Public Defender and former President of the Mexican American Bar Association
Bishop Kenneth Ulmer
– Senior Pastor/Teacher at the Faithful Central Bible Church
If you have any questions, please contact Tamryn Catania at 213- 485-3531.