Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Celebrate Independence Day Weekend Responsibly NA13112dfLos Angeles: The Fourth of July commemorates our great Nation’s adoption of the Declaration of Independence Day on July 4, 1776, from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Unfortunately, Independence Day weekend has become an occasion for many community members to celebrate and drink irresponsibly. As a result of this irresponsible behavior, community members driving under the influence (DUI) has become a tremendous public safety problem over the Independence Day weekend. The Los Angeles Police Department recommends the following tips to ensure everyone residing or visiting Los Angeles has a safe and sane Independence Day:
• Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
• Designate a sober driver;
• Leave your car keys at home;
• Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
• Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
• Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
In the Los Angeles Police Department’s on-going effort to save lives and keep the streets free of drunk drivers, the following DUI enforcement activities will be conducted over the holiday week:
Friday, July 5
• DUI Saturation patrol in Newton Area from 4 P.M. to 12 A.M.
• DUI Saturation patrol in Southwest Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M.
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in Hollywood Area at Santa Monica Boulevard and Bronson Avenue from 8 P.M. to 2 A.M.
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in North Hollywood Area at Cahuenga Boulevard and Oakshire Drive from 8 P.M. to 2 A.M.
Saturday, July 6
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in Southwest Area at Figueroa Street and Vernon Avenue from 6 P.M. to 12 A.M.
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in Newton Area at Florence Avenue and Broadway Drive from 8 P.M. to 2 A.M.
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in North Hollywood Area at Lankershim Boulevard and Vineland Avenue from 8 P.M. to 2 A.M.
• Sobriety and driver’s license checkpoint in Northeast Area at Fountain Avenue and Bates Avenue from 8 P.M. to 2 A.M.
Sunday, July 7
• DUI Saturation Patrol in Harbor Area from 12 P.M. to 8 P.M
• DUI Saturation Patrol in Devonshire Area from 5 P.M. to 1 A.M.
The aforementioned DUI enforcement activities are funded through a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, targeting those who still don’t heed the message to designate a sober driver. For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Emergency Operations Division, at (213) 486-0703. During off hours, please contact the Department’s Media Relations Section at (213) 486-5910.