Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Serial Burglar Hit Flower Mart NR10337pvLos Angeles: Los Angeles police have released video of a serial burglar who has broken into five businesses in the downtown Fashion District and the Flower Mart since June 2, 2010. The man is Black, in his late forties, and he has a prominent receding hairline, as well as a bald spot.
The video depicts the burglar crawling over buckets of fresh flowers to enter a closed flower shop on June 12, 2010, in the 800 block of San Julian Street, which is in the heart of the Flower Mart. The man opens the cash register, wearing gloves, and removes cash left behind for the next day’s business.
“The burglar spends several, unrushed minutes in the shop, rummaging for valuables to take,” said Lt. Paul Vernon, commanding officer of the Central Detective Division. “The store owner did a great job installing a quality video system. Anyone who knows this suspect should be able to recognize him.”
Since June 2, detectives believe the same man has broken into five businesses along the 800 block of Los Angeles Street, the 1000 block of South Hill Street, the 700 block of Wall Street, and the 200 block of East 9th Street.
“It’s not often we can tie one burglar to so many crimes,” said Lt. Vernon. “But the video and MO are quite distinct. If the public can help us catch him, we should be to clear quite a number of cases and put him away for awhile.”
Detectives offered business owners the following advice on securing the businesses from loss:
- Install a quality video system, with storage space for at least 4 days of footage
- Install several cameras, and place some just above face level
- Never leave cash in a cash register overnight, and leave the till OPEN
- Know your employees and keep track of shop keys
- Secure personal property, like purses, during business hours to safe guard against business creepers and distraction crews