Train your employees to be courteous and alert. A thief who thinks that he or she is being watched is less likely to steal. Take steps to prevent shoplifting. It's easier and safer to prevent shoplifting than it is to deal with a shoplifter. Know the signs of shoplifting. Watch for someone who:
- Seems nervous.
- Avoids eye contact.
- Wanders around the store without buying anything.
- Leaves the store and returns to your business repeatedly in a short period of time.
- Stays in an area of your business where he or she is hard to see.
- Keeps watching you or is constantly looking around.
Use simple measures to discourage shoplifting. For example:
- Stay alert at all times.
- Be friendly and polite to all customers.
- Ask customers if they need help.
- Keep your business neat, clean and orderly.
- Know where shoplifting is most likely to occur in your business.
Know what to do if shoplifting occurs. Play it safe.
- Never accuse anyone of stealing.
- Never try to physically stop a shoplifter.
- Never lock the door to keep a shoplifter from leaving.