Tuesday, December 11, 2001
The Sixth Annual, A Better Christmas
A Holiday Celebration Caravan of Food and Gifts for Los Angeles Residents in Need of Assistance During the Holidays
Thursday, December 13, 2001, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
See Attached Schedule
Los Angeles: For most Los Angeles residents, the holidays are filled with joy. Our many diverse communities enjoy the celebrated season with family, friends, and parties with food and gifts.
However, there are several individuals in our City in need of assistance, especially during the holiday season.
The Los Angeles Police Department-Metropolitan Division, United States Secret Service, and the California Highway Patrol are combining their efforts to bring cheer, good tidings, food and even Santa Claus to those who are in need during the Holidays.
It all begins at the Roybal Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles. A police escorted motorcade consisting of two Presidential limousines; one carrying Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus, the other transporting special Guests-including LAPD Chief Bernard C. Parks, will travel to three separate locations. Assisting Santa, several vans filled with food and gifts will follow the holiday motorcade. The Yuletide items will be distributed by LAPD Metropolitan Division's officers to the anxiously awaiting children and adults.
An attached itinerary of the event schedule includes approximate arrival and departure times and also contains a list of the sponsors who donated goods and services.
This media advisory was prepared by Public Information Officer Jack Richter, Media Relations Section, 213-485-3586.
Sixth Annual, "A Better Christmas"
December 13, 2001
- 0900 HRS Photo Opportunity at the United States Secret Service conference room with final briefing. 17th floor, 255 East temple Street.
- 0930 HRS Assemble motorcade on Alameda Street outside of the Roybal Federal Building.
- 1000 HRS Depart Roybal Federal Building
- 1015 HRS Arrive at the Boy's and Girl's Town, 3741 West 27th St.
- 1230 HRS Depart Boy's and Girl's Town
- 1245 HRS Arrive Tenth Street Elementary School, 1000 Grattan St.
- 1415 HRS Depart Tenth Street Elementary School
- 1430 HRS Arrive at the Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women, 1650 Rockwood Ave.
- 1600 HRS Depart from Good Shepherd Center
- 1615 HRS Return to Roybal Federal Building
Ralph's Food Corporation
Mattel Toys Inc.
Valle Brothers Flowers