Integrity Assurance Budget Program
LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT
Tuesday, February 8, 2000
Today, Police Administrator, Mr. Bill Moran, Commanding Officer of Fiscal and Support Bureau, on behalf of Chief of Police Bernard C. Parks, proposed the Department's Integrity Package to members of the Police Commission. This report addressed staff increases and other essential funding needs that will enable the Department to ensure there is never a repeat of the Rampart corruption scandal. Chief Parks stated, "Without implementation of these measures, it is not a question of "if" but "when" these deplorable circumstances would recur."
The Integrity Package included major budget requests for areas such as:
- Administering Polygraph examinations to all police officer candidates prior to conducting their background investigations
- Increase Internal Affairs Group by 200 sworn and civilian staff members
- Establishment of an Ethics Enforcement Section within Internal Affairs Group to conduct sting operations to find and root out corruption
- Increase Risk Management Division staffing to monitor and track risk management factors in the Four primary areas of risk management: use of force, personnel complaints, vehicle pursuits and traffic collisions
- Increase staffing in Detective Headquarters Division to ensure the investigative integrity of all Officer Involved Shootings and other major crime scenes
To obtain a copy of the Chief's Integrity Package, pleases contact the Los Angeles Police Department, Media Relations Sections at 213-485-3586.
For Release 8:00 am PST
February 8, 2000