The LAPDonline.org® website has made reasonable efforts to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated or computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace human or traditional translation methods. The official text is the English version of the LAPDonline.org® website. If any questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information presented by the translated version of the website, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
LAPD Badge Description
1. Border design based on the fasces, or ancient Roman symbol of authority.
2. Designation of rank.
3. Rays of a setting sun represent a West Coast location.
4. Replica of City Hall with three symbolic characteristics: Tower’s rising lines depict the untiring and unyielding spirit of the City’s founders; the flanking wings represent the expansive growth from the first "El Pueblo"; the broad base signifies the City’s firm foundation.
5. The City Seal depicts: the City’s history through Spanish, Mexican, autonomous and United States control; its site as a prolific garden spot; and the early influence of the mission padres.
6. Designation of city and department.
7. Oval shape, unique in badge design when adopted in 1940.