The LAPDonline.org® website has made reasonable efforts to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated or computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace human or traditional translation methods. The official text is the English version of the LAPDonline.org® website. If any questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information presented by the translated version of the website, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
LAPD Seal Description
1. Five stars – represent the five-member Board of Police Commissioners.
2. "Old Glory" – illustrative of devotion to country.
3. Modern family unit supported by the badge – signifying the duty of the police to serve the community. The individuals are faceless, indicating he duty to serve impartially, without regard to race, color or creed.
4. Scales of justice.
5. Sunrays – symbolic of faith, hope and perseverance.
6. Badge – symbolic of the line officer, the mainstay of police service.
7. 1869 – the year in which the Los Angeles Police Department became a paid City agency.
8. Olive branches – for the peace and domestic tranquility.
9. Four stars - insignia of the Chief of Police, the Department’s General Manger.
10. Motto of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The Seal of the Los Angeles Police Department was adopted in 1971. It was designed by Officer Rolph Lucke.