LAPD Announce DUI Checkpoints Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk This Saint Patrick’s Day
In an effort to keep the streets of Los Angeles safe during the Saint Patrick's Day celebrations, the LAPD will conduct the following sobriety checkpoints during the upcoming week:
When and Where:
- March 16, 2011 (Wednesday) – DUI Saturation Patrol in Central Area from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.;
- March 18, 2011 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint in Central Area on Figueroa Street between 8th Street and 9th Street from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.;
- March 19, 2011 (Saturday) – Sobriety Checkpoint in Hollywood Area on Highland Avenue at Odin Street from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- March 20, 2011 (Sunday) – DUI Saturation Patrol in Harbor Area from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
LAPD Police Officers
Saint Patrick's Day has become a popular occasion to celebrate with friends and family. Unfortunately, Saint Patrick's Day has become very dangerous due to the large number of drunk drivers. “If you plan on consuming alcohol, never drive while impaired and never let your friends drive if you think they are impaired. Buzz driving is drunk driving,” said Lieutenant Ron Katona, Officer in Charge, Traffic Coordination Section, Emergency Operations Division.
To ensure a safe and joyous Saint Patrick's Day, LAPD recommends the following tips:
Funding for the checkpoints and DUI saturation patrols is provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We can all help make our streets safer, please report Drunk Drivers – Call 911. For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Traffic Coordination Section, at 213-486-0703.
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin
- Designate a sober driver
- Leave your car keys at home
- Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely