Noise Enforcement TeamIntroduction
Barking dogs, construction equipment, amplified musical instruments, trash trucks, and loud parties are all examples of noise found in major urban areas. Understandably, certain noise levels must be tolerated by all citizens in order for normal functions of urban life to continue. However, excessive, unnecessary, and/or annoying noise is subject to regulation. On March 29, 1982, the City Council adopted a new Noise Ordinance that established limits on noise pollution, set enforcement responsibilities, and provided penalties for violations.
On January 24, 1973, Ordinance No. 144.331 became effective, adding Chapter XI, entitled "Noise Regulation" to the Los Angeles Municipal Code. This chapter empowered the City to prohibit unnecessary, excessive, and annoying noise from all sources subject to its police powers. Enforcement responsibilities were divided between the Police Department and the Department of Building and Safety. During the intervening years, enforcement efforts revealed a need to further define the enforcement responsibilities, to incorporate new sound level measurement procedures, and to establish complaint enforcement expertise within the department. The City Council amended the Noise Ordinance on March 29, 1982, to include new sound level measurement procedures, reconcile conflicting noise level limits, and more clearly define enforcement responsibilities of concerned City departments.
The responsibility for enforcement of the Noise Ordinance is now delegated to the Police Department, Department of Building and Safety, Department of Animal Regulation, and Bureau of Street Services.
The Police Department is responsible for the enforcement of Noise Ordinance violations involving people--generated or controlled noises--which are considered disturbances of the peace. The following is a list of Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) sections of the Noise Ordinance and a summary of the elements that constitute a violation:
Noise Enforcement Team (213) 996-1250
The responsibility of the Noise Enforcement Team entails Early/Late Construction , Early/Late Deliveries, Early/Late Trash Pick-Up, and Music Emitting from Nightclubs.
41.40 LAMC- Construction Noise
Allowable Construction Hours:
- Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturdays and National Holidays between 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sundays, no construction except for residents
113.01 LAMC- Rubbish and Garbage Collection
Allowable Hours if the Trash Bin is within 200 feet of resident:
- Between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- If more than 200 feet from resident, trash bin can be picked up any time
114.03 LAMC- Vehicle loading or unloading (Deliveries)
Allowable Hours if Deliveries are conducted within 200 feet of resident:
- Between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- If more than 200 feet from resident, deliveries can be conducted any time
112.01(c) LAMC- Noise Emitting from Nightclubs
- Any noise level caused by such use or operation which exceeds the ambient noise level on the premises of any other occupied property, or if a condominium, apartment house, duplex, or attached business, within any adjoining unit, by more than five (5) decibels shall be a violation of the provisions of this section.
Other Noise Responsibilities
- Gas Leaf Blower............Bureau of Street Services (213 847-6000)
- Fixed Equipment............Department of Building and Safety (213 252-3039)
- Animal Complaints.........Animal Regulations (Contact your local animal shelter)
- Aircraft Complaints........Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) (faa.gov)
- LAPD Helicopter............Air Support Division (213 485-2600)
- Movie Sets....................Film LA (213 977-8600)
- Any other noise complaint, please contact your local police station or 1-877-ASK-LAPD.