877 ASK-LAPD 877 275-5273WHAT IS 877 ASK-LAPD?
877 ASK-LAPD is a new universal toll-free non-emergency police number. It was designed to help reduce the number of non-emergency calls to 9-1-1 operators. 877 ASK-LAPD is also available in Spanish and TTY for the hearing-impaired.
WHEN SHOULD I USE 877 ASK-LAPD (877 275-5273)?
Callers who do not have an emergency or who may only need information should call 877-ASK-LAPD.
WHY SHOULD I DIAL 877 ASK-LAPD INSTEAD OF 9-1-1?
It is important to keep the 9-1-1 lines and operators available for emergency situations like a person reporting a fire, someone experiencing a heart attack, or someone witnessing a violent crime in progress.
When someone calls 9-1-1 with a non-emergency call such as a loud party, it ties up both the incoming 9-1-1 line and the 9-1-1 operator.
Los Angeles is a large city with limited resources. It is important that we keep all emergency lines and operators available to handle the next incoming emergency. Remember to dial 877 ASK-LAPD when you need the police, but don’t have an emergency.
WHAT IS AN EMERGENCY VERSUS A NON-EMERGENCY?
Here are just a few examples of emergencies versus non-emergencies:
- Anyone requiring medical attention
- Crimes in progress
- Domestic violence in progress
- Disturbances including a loud radio or party
- Drinking in public
- Property or business disputes involving a landlord, property or business
- Trespassing / loitering
It’s simple. Just dial 1-877-275-5273. It’s toll free so there is no charge to the caller. You will receive a non-emergency operator who will provide assistance to you. If all of the non-emergency operators are busy with other callers, you will receive the ASK-LAPD Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. The IVR allows you to by-pass a non-emergency operator and locate the best source of information or assistance for your needs through a series of questions and caller selections. While you are in the IVR system, you may at any time choose to speak to a live operator by pressing "0" (zero).
WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION CAN I OBTAIN FROM USING 877 ASK-LAPD?
- Telephone numbers to all police stations and some specialized units.
- Arrestee, court and restraining order information.
- Listings of crime reports that can be taken over the phone.
- Directions on how to report stolen, abandoned and illegally parked vehicles.
- Information on parking citations and boot devices.
- Listings for non-LAPD service providers such as the Department of Animal Regulations and Department of Water and Power.
For further information on the 877 ASK-LAPD non-emergency number, contact the ASK-LAPD Task Force at 213-473-6434 during normal business hours.