The LAPDonline.org® website has made reasonable efforts to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated or computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace human or traditional translation methods. The official text is the English version of the LAPDonline.org® website. If any questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information presented by the translated version of the website, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
Police Training and Education
1880 N. Academy Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90012
The Director, Police Training and Education is under the direction of the Commanding Officer, Training Group. The Director, Police Training and Education exercises line command and has staff responsibility over matters within the jurisdiction of the Director, Police Training and Education.
Director, Police Training and Education Responsibility
The Director, Police Training and Education is responsible for:
▪ Reviewing and evaluating policies, curricula, and program delivery.
▪ Ensuring compliance with established criteria and effectiveness of instruction for all Department sponsored training programs.
▪ Assessing existing training programs.
▪ Reviewing criteria for implementing new training programs.
▪ Consulting in the selection and training of Department instructors.
▪ Assisting in policy development for academic training.
▪ Facilitating the continuity and relevance of all academic training programs.
▪ Designing general methods of evaluating the effectiveness of training in the field.
▪ Formulating recommendations for improvements in short and long term retention of instruction.
▪ Verifying compliance and effectiveness of all training programs and approaches.
▪ Identifying training problem areas and recommending modifications.
▪ Advising management on problems related to police training programs and administration.
▪ Researching methods to improve instructional and learning processes.
▪ Formulating strategies to aid instructors in training methods and content of instruction.
▪ Advising Department of current developments in educational methodology applicable to police training.
▪ Assisting management on training-related contacts with outside organizations.
▪ Maintaining contact with professional associations to keep abreast of the latest developments in the training and education field.
▪ Participating on various committees as assigned.