Monday, July 23, 2001
18th Annual National Night Out, Crime and Drug Prevention Event"18th Annual National Night Out, Crime and Drug Prevention Event"
Los Angeles: On Tuesday, August 7th, community members throughout Los Angeles are being invited to join forces with thousands of communities nationwide, for the "18th Annual National Night Out" crime and drug prevention event. National Night Out, which is sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW) and co-sponsored locally by the Los Angeles Police Department will involve over 9,600 communities from all 50 states and around the world. Overall, 32 million people are expected to participate in "America’s National Night Out Against Crime."
National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support and increase public participation in local crime prevention programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police/community partnerships;
- Send a clear message to criminals that neighborhoods are organized; and are working in partnership with the local police departments to improve the quality of life in the community.
Many communities throughout Los Angeles will be hosting a variety of special events such as:
- Block parties
- Visits from local police
- Turning on blue porch lights and wearing blue ribbons
- Peace walks
- Candle light vigils
Commander Sharon Papa, Department spokesperson, stated, "The National Night Out program has proven to be an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program to promote neighborhood spirit and police/community partnerships." All community members are encouraged to take part in these events, and call their local Los Angeles Community Police Station, Community Relations Office, to find out what events are scheduled, and the locations of these events.
For additional information, contact your local Community Police Station, or the Community Liaison/Crime Prevention Unit, at 213-485-3134 or visit LAPDOnline's Community Events Section
This press release was prepared by Officer La Donna Cissell, Media Relations Section 213-485-3586.