Thursday, May 19, 2005
Underwater Dive Unit to Unveil Mobile Waterborne Command Post Boat for Counter Terrorism
News conference to unveil a mobile waterborne command post boat and dive platform for the Los Angeles Police Department's Under Water Dive Unit.
Monday, May 23, 2005 at 10:00 a.m.
Los Angeles City Fire Station #112 - Port of Los Angeles
444 South Harbor (Corner of 5th and Harbor), San Pedro, CA 90310
- 1st Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell, LAPD Chief of Staff
- Deputy Chief Michael Hillmann, LAPD Special Operations Bureau
- Captain Robert Green, LAPD Mission Station Commanding Officer
- Karen Wagener, Los Angeles Police Foundation President
- Roberta Yang, Deputy Mayor for Public Safety
- Deputy Chief Mario Rueda, LAFD Commander of Bureau of Emergency Services
- Chief of Police Ronald Boyd, Los Angeles Port Police
- Noel Cunningham, Director of Operations and Emergency Management, Port of Los Angeles
- Captain Ralph Tracy, Los Angeles Port Police
The Los Angeles City Fire Department, the Los Angeles Port Police, and the Los Angeles Police Foundation, have worked together to supply the Los Angeles Police Department's Underwater Dive Unit with a mobile waterborne command post and dive platform. The 34-foot customized boat will serve the Dive Unit's expanding needs to assist and support the Los Angeles Port Police to better protect the Port from potential terrorist attacks and criminal activities.
The Underwater Dive Unit is responsible for investigating crime scenes, recovering evidence and searching suspect vessels that may attempt to bring in narcotics or materials that may pose potential threats to national security. Before the gift of the mobile waterborne command post boat, the Underwater Dive Unit used inflatable boats to execute crime investigations. The newly refurbished boat will be an essential tool in the protection of the Port of Los Angeles and America's West Coast.
Visuals: Members of Air Support Division and the Underwater Dive Unit will conduct a demonstration from the Huey helicopter and mobile waterborne command post.