Senior Lead Officer (SLO) Reginald Gay and Gilbert Radillo, C-PAB Co-Chair, welcomed the community and members present.
Adoption of Minutes:
A motion to approve the Minutes from the March meeting was requested by Gilbert Radillo,
C-PAB Co-Chair. Motion was made by member Helen Wilkins and seconded by
• Introduced community members, business owners, stakeholders, non-profit reps and SLOs.
• Captain Prokop is on vacation.
• Introduced Lt. Spicer, introduced to group ‘as soon to be’ new Patrol Captain.
o Lt. Spicer arrived to Newton two weeks ago.
o Captain Ann Young, Commanding Officer, Central Traffic Division, was in place of Captain Prokop for the April C-PAB Meeting.
Bike Lanes on Central Avenue
• Create Safe Passage for Students.
• Create park stations in front of businesses along Central Avenue.
• Gilbert: Bowers & Sons Cleaners (25th & Central Avenue) is open to having one
• Presentation provided by Gilbert Radillo.
• Bike Racks
• If business owners would like bike racks in front of their businesses, Gilbert can assist with process.
• Organizations assisting with Bike Lanes on Central Avenue.
• CicLaVia, SCA Mobility committee-Meet every last Saturday of the month.
• Receives 1,000 hits per month.
• Has Los Angeles Times link.
• If possible, add website link to your e-mail signature.
• Content needs to be collected by local businesses organizations to add to website
• Submit information to Gilbert to upload & promote your business/organization.
• Provide logo & link to website.
• Submit your Calendar of Community Events.
• Steve Carrillo
• Helen Wilkins with LA Mart provided a commendation for his great work in collaborating with LA Mart and their events. She will put it in writing.
• LAPD website has commendation form electronically.
• Lt. Spicer:
• Recommends that members take a few minutes for commendations and complaints. This type of paperwork goes into Police Officers’ personal packages
• Sketch of murder suspect was provided.
• Officers think he lives in the area.
• Contact Newton Police Department if you know of him.
• Rise from last week.
• Residential areas
Happening in the daytime.
Reminder to close windows and be vigilant.
• Vehicle Break-ins
• Continuing problem.
• Happens when items are left in plain view.
• SLO Marufo
Businesses he works with provided funding for mailer regarding the Lock It/Hide It/Keep It campaign to community members.
• Officers looking for additional funding/donations.
• Cesar- Can C-PAB members work together to write a grant?
• Chain Snatching
• It is still high on the list.
• Price of GOLD is still up.
• Requested by both C-PAB Chair and community members
• SLO Reggie will work on that for next month’s meeting.
• Garage Sale: 29th Street Crossings: April 13th from 9am - 3pm. Fundraiser-
828 East 29th Street.
• A Place Called Home: Health and Garden Expo: May 4th from 10am – 4pm,
2830 South Central Avenue.
• Grupo de Danza: Looking for assistance in funds to close streets. Looking for support to fundraise and close streets and promote healthy lifestyle.
• Ana Cubas: Campaign Kick-off: April 6th at Los Compadres Swapmeet
608 East 59th Street @ 12pm. There will be free food and refreshments.
• Central Avenue Business Association (CABA) - Cinco de Mayo Celebration: May 4th at Rittenhouse Square, 33rd and Central Avenue. Community is invited to celebration.
MANUEL RAMIREZ, Sergeant EDWARD J. PROKOP, Captain
Acting Officer-in-Charge Commanding Officer
Newton Community Relations Office Newton Area