Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Observe Independence Day Weekend Responsibly, with your Family and Friends. NR10164krIndependence Day commemorates this Nation’s adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Unfortunately, Independence Day weekend has become an excuse for many to party and drink irresponsibly. As a result, the driving under the influence (DUI) driver is a tremendous public safety concern over the July 4th weekend. To ensure a safe 234th Independence Day, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
- Designate a sober driver;
- Leave your car keys at home;
- Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
- July 2, 2010 (Friday) from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in North Hollywood Area on Ventura Boulevard between Eureka Drive and Fruitland Drive;
- July 3, 2010 (Saturday) from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in Hollywood Area on Hollywood Boulevard between Gower Street and Bronson Avenue; and,
- July 4, 2010 (Sunday) from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Harbor Area on Harbor Boulevard at 1st Street.