Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Designate a Driver Before the ‘Fiesta’ Begins NA12100ksCinco de Mayo has become a joyous day for many Angelanos to honor and celebrate Mexico’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Cinco de Mayo is day to honor the heritage and pride of Mexicans throughout North America. Unfortunately, it is also a night with unnecessary dangers when community members decide to drink and drive. Party hosts, bars and restaurants this year are encouraged to plan and promote the designation of sober drivers in advance – before the ‘Fiesta’ begins.
To ensure a safe and festive Cinco de Mayo, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
- Designate a sober driver;
- Leave your car keys at home;
- Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
- May 3, 2012 (Thursday) – DUI Saturation Patrol in Van Nuys Area from 6 PM to 2 AM;
- May 4, 2012 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint at Vermont Avenue and 6th Street in Olympic Area from 7 PM to 3 AM;
- May 4, 2012 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint at Hollywood Boulevard and Gower Street in Hollywood Area from 7 PM to 3 AM;
- May 5, 2012 (Saturday) – Sobriety Checkpoint at Cahuenga Boulevard and Broadlawn Drive in North Hollywood Area from 7 PM to 3 AM;
- May 6, 2012 (Sunday) – DUI Saturation Patrol in 77th Street Area from 12 to 8 PM;
- May 6, 2012 (Sunday) – Sobriety Checkpoint at Imperial Highway and Main Street in Southeast Area from 7 PM to 3 AM.