Support Training Against Narcotic Dependency (STAND)What is STAND
Support Training Against Narcotic Dependency (STAND) is a comprehensive substance abuse prevention program aimed at eliminating substance abuse in the workplace.
The Los Angeles Police Department provides the business community with experienced, trained and knowledgeable instructors in the area of substance abuse. The liabilities associated with drug use in the workplace are emphasized.
The question employers have to ask is not if they can afford a substance abuse prevention program, but if they can afford NOT to have one.
Drug abuse is not just a social issue... it is also an economic development issue. Drug abuse has a negative impact on business retention and expansion, which costs Los Angeles jobs.
Drug abuse is a major contributor to lower productivity, higher insurance and worker compensation costs, absenteeism, theft, vandalism, and employee turnover. It also infringes on an individual's right to work in a safe environment.
The business community realizes the importance of getting involved. An investment in drug education, prevention, and employee assistance programs will pay off for employers as well as employees.
Drug Abusers As Employees Are...
▪ 3 times more likely to be late for work
▪ 10 times more likely to miss work
▪ 2.2 times more likely to request early dismissal or time off
▪ 3.6 times more likely to injure themselves or another person in a workplace accident
▪ 5 times more likely to file a worker's compensation claim
▪ Likely to incur 300% higher medical costs and benefits
▪ Responsible for 40% of all industrial fatalities
▪ 33% less productive
...when compared to their non-drug abusing counterparts.
What STAND will do for you
The Los Angeles Police Department provides expert instructors to:
▪ Present comprehensive substance abuse education and instruction to all working levels of the L.A. business community;
▪ Establish a "no tolerance" atmosphere in the work place towards substance abuse;
▪ Train management and supervisory personnel to recognize employee substance abuse;
▪ Provide the tools necessary to confront employees and refer them according to individual company policy; and
▪ Assist employers in establishing effective substance abuse prevention programs within their own organization.
Did you know?
Approximately 73% of Americans who currently use illicit drugs are employed!
In 1996, an estimated 13 million Americans were current illicit drug users (used within the past month).
Overall economic cost associated with alcohol and other drug abuse is more than $14 billion annually in California!
The Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and the California Drug-Free Workplace Act require corporations and businesses that receive government contracts, grants, and other funding to have a drug-free workplace program in place.
Approximately 60% of the world's production of illicit drugs is consumed in the United States, which comprises only 5% of the world's population.
It is time to change attitudes and expect a drug-free work environment. It is time to take a STAND against substance abuse.
Take a STAND against alcohol and other drugs of abuse in the workplace.
To request a STAND presentation...
To arrange for a substance abuse prevention training program at your workplace, contact the STAND Program Coordinator Sergeant Gary Tetzlaff, Los Angeles Police Department, Narcotics Group, 251 E. 6th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90014, 213-485-9608.
Zero Tolerance for Alcohol/Drug Abuse in the Workplace