Monday, December 7, 2009
City of LA orders mandatory evacuation orders for selected homes in the Big Tunjunga Canyon and Haines CanyonThe City of Los Angeles has issued mandatory evacuations orders for nine (9) homes in the Big Tujunga Canyon and Haines Canyon due to current and predicted heavy rain fall expected this afternoon through this evening.
The evacuation order will be effective at noon. Los Angeles police officers are scheduled to go door to door and advise residents to evacuate immediately as the next heavy down pour of rain is expected to bear down on the hillside of the previous burned area near these homes.
Thirteen (13) additional homes in the area will be given an evacuation advisory should weather conditions worsen.
Evacuated residents may be allowed to return to their homes tomorrow morning if weather conditions permit.
A Unified Command Post has been established at LAFD Drill Tower 81 with Los Angeles Fire, Los Angeles Police and the Emergency Management Department along with other assisting agencies located 14345 Arminta Street in Panaroma City. The Unfired Command Post will:
- Monitor current weather, mud and water flow in trouble areas. The areas of most concern are Ebbey, Haines, Zachau Place, Alpine Way and Blanchard Canyon’s.
- Provide for the safety of the public while keeping them informed with timely and accurate information.
- Organize timely evacuation of citizens in threatened communities.
- Provide security of evacuated communities.
- Provide traffic control provided for all affected areas and street closures.
- Minimize damage to the natural resource areas.
Residents should also be aware of escape routes when entering canyons within the burn area.
The City has opened the following shelters:
For residents and small animals
- Sunland Tujunga Recreation Center
8651 Foothill Boulevard
Sunland, Ca, 91040
- Pierce College
6201 Winnetka Ave
Woodland Hills, Ca 91371-0002
- Fire Station 24, 9411 Wentworth Street, Sunland, CA 91040 (SAND DEPOT)
- Fire Station 75, 15345 San Fernando Mission, Mission Hills, CA 91345
- Fire Station 77, 9224 Sunland Blvd., Sunland, CA 91352 (SAND DEPOT)
- Fire Station 91, 14430 Polk Street, Sylmar, CA 91342 (SAND DEPOT) (Sylmar Rec Center adjacent to FS 91)
- Fire Station 98, 13035 Van Nuys Blvd, Pacoima, CA 91331(SAND DEPOT)
- Fire Station 7, 14123 Nordhoff Street, Arleta, CA 91042
- Olive View Hospital, 14445 Olive View Drive, Sylmar, CA 91342
- Knollwood Country Club, 12040 Balboa Boulevard Granada Hills, CA 91344
- Council District 2 Office, 7747 Foothill Boulevard, Tujunga, CA 91042
- Contact: Pat Davenport, Field Aide - Cell 818-324-4324
Sheppard of the Hills Church
19700 Rinaldi Street, Porter Ranch, Ca, 91326
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Further updates will be available at:
- Emergency Management Information Helpline (800) 439-2909
- 311 or 213-485-2121