Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk This Saint Patrick’s Day NR13042ne
Los Angeles, California — Saint Patrick’s Day has become a popular occasion to celebrate with friends and family. Unfortunately, Saint Patrick’s Day has become very dangerous due to the large number of drunk drivers. During the 2012 Saint Patrick’s Day period, there were 26 driving under the influence (DUI) related traffic collisions in Los Angeles of which 10 involved an injury.
“Whether you are meeting a few friends at the local pub or visiting your favorite Irish pub, if you plan on using alcohol, never drive while impaired—and never let your friends drive if you think they are impaired. Buzz driving is drunk driving,” commented Lieutenant Ron Katona, Officer in Charge, Traffic Coordination Section, Emergency Operations Division.
To ensure a safe and joyous Saint Patrick’s Day, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
In effort to keep the streets of Los Angeles safe during the Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations, the LAPD will conduct the following driving under the influence (DUI) saturation patrols and sobriety checkpoints during the upcoming week:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
- Designate a sober driver;
- Leave your car keys at home;
- Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
Friday, March 15, 2013
Saturday, March 16, 2013
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Santa Monica Boulevard at Carmelina Avenue in West Los Angeles Area.
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Victory Boulevard at Bellingham Avenue in North Hollywood Area.
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Florence Avenue and Broadway in Newton Area.
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Highland Avenue and De Longpre Avenue in Hollywood Area.
Sunday, March 17, 2013
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. on Imperial Highway and Main Street in Southeast Area.
- Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Van Nuys Boulevard and Amboy Avenue in Foothill Area.
Funding for the checkpoints and DUI saturation patrols is provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We can all help make our streets safer, please report Drunk Drivers – Call 911. For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Traffic Coordination Section, at 213-486-0703.
- DUI Saturation Patrol from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Hollenbeck and Newton Area.
- DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. in North Hollywood Area.
- DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. in 77th Street Area.
- DUI Saturation Patrol from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. in Hollywood Area.