Monday, October 7, 2013
Pedestrian and Safety Crosswalk Enforcement Operation NA13174cjWHAT:
Pedestrian Safety and Crosswalk Enforcement Operation
October 09, 2013
7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Various Locations in San Fernando Valley
Valley Traffic Division Police Officers
Valley Traffic Division officers will be heavily deployed throughout the valley to enforce pedestrian traffic laws. The focus will be on both motorists and pedestrians who do not obey traffic laws related to pedestrian safety.
There has been an 18% increase in pedestrian fatalities year to date and 4% increase in pedestrian versus automobile traffic collisions in the San Fernando Valley. If you are involved in a collision the law requires you to stop and render aid if necessary. Many times the motorist is not at fault, but fleeing the scene of a collision is a crime.
The Los Angeles Police Department’s Valley Traffic Division wants to remind motorists and pedestrians to be cautious when walking or driving on the streets at all times. Please review these traffic safety tips:
• Cross streets at marked crosswalks or intersections if available
• Watch for turning vehicles and make sure the driver sees you before stepping out in front of a car
• Just because one car stops, do not assume other drivers will also stop; visually clear each lane before you proceed
• Wear bright/light colored clothing and walk in well-lit areas at night
• Be alert to the traffic! Constantly look both ways as you cross the street
• Do not drive distracted
• Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks whether marked or unmarked
• Watch for pedestrians stepping off the curb when making right or left turns
• Obey the speed limits and slow down
If you have any questions please contact Sergeant Stephen Egan, Los Angeles Police Department, Valley Traffic Division, Community Traffic Services Unit, 818-644-8146 or the Valley Traffic Division Watch Commander at 818-644-8000.