Thursday, June 3, 2010
Safe Summer Crime Prevention Tips NR10291gbLos Angeles: As the summer season approaches, LAPD property crimes detectives want to remind community members that taking precautions with your property, both in your house and your car, may prevent you from being the victim of a crime.
You can help us to reduce crimes and protect your valuable property by employing the following tips regularly.
● Lock doors and windows every time you go out
● Lock your windows at night
● Don’t leave cash and jewelry in plain sight. Lock up your valuables and only tell their location to people who need to know. Consider purchasing a safe that can’t be moved easily.
● Make use of a safe deposit box if you don’t have a safe.
● Close pet doors whenever possible.
● Trim bushes and trees so that your house and front door are visible from the street
● Leave lights on at night. Buy timers for your lights and set them in a random pattern.
● Keep a radio or TV on during the day
● Install motion lights around your property
● Vary your times of arrival and departure whenever possible.
● Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business or store.
● Always roll up the windows and lock your car even in hot weather.
● Never leave your keys in the ignition, not even in a locked garage. Beware of Hide-a- key boxes.
● Leave nothing in plain sight, including I-Pods, cell phones, GPS systems, purses and laptop computers.
● Personal identification documents, credit cards or vehicle ownership title should not be in your car.
● Park cars in well lit areas.
● Invest in alarm systems and anti-theft vehicle devices.
● Keep a copy of your license plate and vehicle identification numbers
● If your vehicle is stolen, report it immediately.
● Do not leave your wallet or other valuables unattended on park benches, picnic blankets or beach towels, even when you are playing sports or swimming.
For more information, calls may be directed to the LAPD Media Relations Section at 213-486-5910.