How can I get a police clearance letter ?

Los Angeles Police Department: Records & Identification Division issues “letters of good conduct” to assist current residents of the City of Los Angeles with foreign travel requirements. These letters are acceptable only to foreign governments and only for travel purposes. Requests for clearance letters may be made to the R&I Division Watch Commander at Police Administration Building, 100 West 1st Street,  between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays.

Please call 213-486-8320

You will need to provide the following:

  1. Proof of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport or birth certificate, if born in the United States) or U.S. Residency Card (green card)
  2. Driver’s License or California ID card indicating an address in the City of Los Angeles. (A recent utility bill with your name and current City of Los Angeles address may be used if the address on your driver’s license is outside of the City); and,
  3. Check, money order or exact currency (no change is made) for $25.00.


How can I get a police clearance letter for immigration purposes?
The Los Angeles Police Department does not provide police clearance letters for the purposes of immigration to the United States or for employment background purposes. If the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services asks for a clearance letter after you have been fingerprinted, please contact the Los Angeles County Sherriff’s Office at 12440 East Imperial Highway, Norwalk, CA 90650; Phone No.: (562) 345-4441.