Reports and Other Services

The Department’s Public Counter is Closed; please call (213) 486-8300 if you have any questions.


Arrest Reports: Although some arrest information is available to the public if the arrest was made within the past six months, arrest reports are generally not authorized for release to the public, and can only be obtained with a subpoena or court order when there is a pending civil case. If you have a criminal case pending, contact your defense attorney or public defender. If you are representing yourself, contact the Office of the City Attorney (for misdemeanor arrests) or the District Attorney (for felony arrests) at the court where the trial is pending.

All Subpoena Duces Tecum must be served in-person at:

Discovery Section
Subpoena Duces Tecum Processing Unit
200 N. Spring St., Suite 1900
LA, CA 90012

Crime Reports: If you want to request a copy of a crime report, you must mail your written request to R&I Division (see below for mailing address). You may only receive a crime report if you are the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 6254 of the Government Code.

If the request for a copy of a crime report is in relation to a U or T Visa certification request, please write on the outside of the envelope “U or T Visa Request”. This will assist in avoiding a delay in processing the request.

To obtain a copy of a crime report, you must provide:

  1. A check or money order payable to the LAPD in the amount of $17.00 (do not send cash). This fee may be refunded if it is determined that no report exists. If you receive notification that no report exists, please complete a City of Los Angeles Claim for Refund form and return it to the City Clerk’s Office.
  2. The name(s) and address(es) of the victim(s).
  3. The insurance policy number if the requestor is an insurance company.
  4. A release from the victim if the request is from an attorney.
  5. The type of report – robbery, assault, etc.
  6. The date and location of occurrence.
  7. A report (DR) number and/or Incident Number, if known.


Recent California legislation provides that victims of domestic violence are entitled to one free copy of their incident reports made within five years from the date of completion of the incident report. Victims of Sexual Assault, Stalking, Human Trafficking, or Abuse of an Elder or a Dependent Adult are entitled to one free copy of their incident reports made within two years from the date of completions of the incident report. Additionally, victims of identity theft are entitled to a free copy of their incident reports.

Due to the severe time constraints imposed upon local law enforcement agencies for providing a copy of the report, victims of domestic violence should apply directly to the concerned Area of occurrence for a copy of their report; provided that the incident was reported within the last two years. (Records and Identification Division will continue to process requests received by mail from victims of domestic violence as expeditiously as possible. There will be no fee charged to the victim.)

Mail to:

Los Angeles Police Department
Records and Identification Division
Document Processing Unit
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030

Traffic Reports: To obtain a copy of a traffic report, click here:

Obtaining Detention Date Information

Requests for information regarding detention date information for LAPD arrests, known as “Detention Letters,” may be directed to the R&I Division’s Court Sealings and Records Retention Unit at:

Police Administration Building (PAB)
100 West 1st Street, Room P1-137, (between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.)
Los Angeles, Ca 90012
Monday through Thursday, excluding weekends and holidays.

Your detention letter request can only be processed for arrests made by the LAPD, and only if you were released from LAPD custody. The fee for this information is $17.00, payable by check, money order, or currency.

If the LAPD arrested you, but you were held in County custody, please visit the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office Records Bureau at 12440 East Imperial Highway, Norwalk, or contact them at (562) 465-7825.

The LAPD’s fingerprinting capabilities are for law enforcement support only and, therefore, the LAPD does not provide fingerprinting services for the public. For information regarding obtaining fingerprints, please refer to the Yellow Pages telephone listings under the headings of “Fingerprints,” “Immigration,” or “Passports.”


Crime Scene Photographs: Crime scene photographs are not released except pursuant to a court order.

Traffic Collision Photographs: You may obtain traffic collision photographs if you have a legal right to obtain them. Traffic collision photographs are provided on a compact disc (CD). The fee for this disc is $5.00, which should be submitted along with your written request. If you are requesting a traffic collision report at the same time you are requesting the photographs, please prepare two separate checks.

Please mail your traffic collision photograph request to:

Los Angeles Police Department
Records and Identification Division
Document Processing Unit/P-1
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030

To obtain traffic collision photographs, please provide:

  1. A check or money order payable to Los Angeles Police Department in the amount of $5.00. If no photographs are found, you will be provided with a Claim for Refund form to request a refund of the $5.00 fee from the Office of the City Clerk.
  2. The location and the party(ies) involved in the collision, if known.
  3. The insurance policy number if the requestor is an insurance company.
  4. A release from an involved party if the request is from an attorney.
  5. The date and location of occurrence.
  6. A report (DR) number and/or Incident Number, if known.
  7. The vehicle license plate number.


Arson Offender Registrations:
If you are required to register for an arson offense with the LAPD, you must:

  1. Register in person.
  2. Bring a photo identification.
  3. Provide your parole or probation officer’s name and address, if required.


  • Metropolitan Detention Center, Front Lobby Desk, 180 North Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm, Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays. For further information, contact the Metro Jail Division Registration Desk at (213) 356-3475.

Registration Availability: Monday through Thursday excluding weekends and holidays from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. For further information, contact Jail Division at 213 356-3475.

Sex Offender Registrations: If you reside within the LAPD’s jurisdiction and are required to register as a sex offender, you must report to the LAPD Community Police Station that covers the area of your residence and ask for a REACT detective to complete the registration process. Several Community Police Stations require an appointment to register. Please contact your local station and request appointment information.

Vehicles – Repossessed
If your vehicle was repossessed, you are required to pay a $15 fee and obtain a receipt as proof of payment. Payment can be made online at: Repo Fee. Hold onto the receipt for at least 30 days, the vehicle may still show as repossessed in the system and will need to show proof of payment if stopped by the police for a traffic violation.

Government Code 41612“After possession is taken of any vehicle by or on behalf of any legal owner thereof under the terms of a security agreement or lease agreement, the debtor shall pay the chief of police or a parking authority operated by a city and county a fee of fifteen dollars ($15) for the receipt and filing of the report of repossession pursuant to Section 28 of the Vehicle Code before the vehicle may be redeemed by the debtor.”

Wants or Warrants
If you want to know whether an outstanding want or warrant exists for you, you must appear in person at an LAPD Community Police Station. No specific want or warrant information is provided telephonically.

Read More