How can I get a police clearance letter?

Los Angeles Police Department: Records & Identification Division issues “letters of good conduct” also known as “clearance  letters” to assist current residents of the City of Los Angeles with foreign travel and adoption requirements. These letters are  acceptable only to foreign governments for these purposes. Requests for clearance letters for foreign travel or adoption must be mailed to:

R&I Division – CSRRU
Police Administration Building
100 W. 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA. 90012

To obtain a “letter of good conduct,” you must mail in the following:

1. Proof of U.S. citizenship (Copy of U.S. passport or birth certificate, if born in the United States) or U.S. Residency Card (green card),

2. Current Driver’s License or Current California ID card indicating a current address in the City of Los Angeles.; and,

3. Check, money order or cashier’s check payable to  LAPD in the amount of $17.00 (do not send cash).

Please contact the R&I Division – CSRRU unit at (213) 486-8320 if you have any questions regarding these procedures.

How can I get a police clearance letter for immigration purposes?

The Los Angeles Police Department does not provide police clearance letters for the purposes of immigration to the United  States or for employment background purposes. If the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services asks for a clearance letter after you have been fingerprinted, please contact the Los Angeles County Sherriff’s Office at 12440 East Imperial Highway, Norwalk, CA 90650; Phone No.: (562) 345-4470

(Last updated August 18, 2023)