Undocumented victims of certain crimes who have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse and are helpful to law enforcement are eligible to apply for U nonimmigrant status (U Visa). The U Visa allows eligible victims to live and work in the United States for up to four years with the possibility of extension and obtaining permanent resident status.

To qualify, victims must obtain certification from a local, state or federal law enforcement agency documenting their helpfulness in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

LAPD Federal Immigration Enforcement FAQ’s

En Español

Special Order 40