Report Employee Misconduct

Information on How to File a Complaint

Contact us
Complaint Form

The motto of the Los Angeles Police Department is “to protect and to serve.” The Department is dedicated to providing the finest police service possible. In order to provide quality service to the community, we need your assistance. This is your police department. We welcome your comments and encourage you to let us know about the quality of service you receive from our employees.

If you wish to commend the actions of employees of this Department, you may do so by clicking here, writing a letter to the captain of the station in your Area, or to the Chief of Police. Verbal commendations may also be given to any Department supervisor. If you believe the conduct of an employee was inappropriate, you may file an online complaint here.

A complaint can be filed in person at any police facility in Los Angeles, Internal Affairs Group, the Police Commission, or the Office of the Inspector General. Although it is not required, the Department encourages community members to make these reports in person so a supervisor has an opportunity to do a thorough initial assessment of your complaint.

If you do not wish to report your complaint in person, you may obtain a “Complaint of Employee Misconduct” form from any police facility or City Council field office. Complaints may also be filed online by clicking here or on the button below.

If you prefer to make your complaint by phone, you may call our 24-hour toll free hotline at (800) 339-6868.

Anonymous and third-party complaints are also accepted and will be investigated to the extent that sufficient information is provided. However, if you choose to not provide your contact information, the investigators will be unable to ask you follow-up questions that might be needed for a thorough, complete investigation.

The Investigation Process
All complaints are reviewed by IAG before being assigned for investigation. However, not all complaints are investigated by IAG. Depending on the misconduct alleged, personnel complaints may be investigated by IAG investigators or at the divisional level. Complaints not investigated by IAG are assigned to the accused officer’s division of assignment for investigation.

Your complaint will be investigated by a trained supervisor. The investigation may include interviews of witnesses and officers; a review of Department records, policies, and procedures; an inspection of medical records, photographs and other evidence; and legal analysis.

The investigation of a personnel complaint and subsequent actions (including the administration of discipline when warranted) are involved and time consuming processes. The amount of time they take depends on a number of factors and generally varies from several months to about a year. Once the process has been completed, you will be notified of the outcome in writing if you have provided your mailing address.

Mediation Program and Alternative Complaint Resolution Process
Some complaints are eligible to be resolved through Mediation or the Alternative Complaint Resolution (ACR) process rather than the traditional, fact-finding investigation. These alternative complaint procedures, which take place in an informal setting, were developed to resolve complaints through dialogue and with the intent to strengthen relations between the community and the LAPD.

Mediation is a form of confidential dispute resolution in which complainants and LAPD employees meet face-to-face with impartial mediators to discuss the alleged misconduct. The mediators are trained volunteers from the City Attorney’s Office, and have no power to influence the outcome of the mediation.

Similarly, for the ACR process, the parties meet to resolve the complaint through a discussion. The conversation is facilitated by an LAPD supervisor, and the ACR process is also confidential.
If your complaint is determined to be appropriate for mediation or the ACR process, you will be notified. However, your participation would be completely voluntary.

-You may file an online complaint here

Read More