Obtaining a Letter of Good Conduct for Travel or Foreign Adoption

Obtaining a Letter of Good Conduct:

Los Angeles Police Department
R&I Division issues “letters of good conduct” also known as “clearance letters” to assist current residents of the City of Los Angeles with foreign travel and adoption requirements.  These letters are acceptable only to foreign governments for these purposes.  The LAPD does not provide police clearance letters for the purposes of immigration to the United States, emigration from the United States, or for employment background purposes.  (See California Department of Justice information below).

Requests for clearance letters for foreign travel and adoption must be mailed to:

LAPD R&I Division
ATTN:  CSRRU-Clearance Letter
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA  90030


Express Mail to:
LAPD R&I Division

ATTN:  CSRRU-Clearance Letter
100 West 1st Street, Room 731
Los Angeles, CA  90012

To obtain a “letter of good conduct,” you must mail in the following:

1. Proof of U.S. citizenship

·         COPY of U.S. passport, or birth certificate if born in the United States or
·         COPY of U.S. residency card (green card)

2. Proof of valid U.S. Visa (for Non-U.S. citizenship/non-U.S. resident)

3. Proof of Los Angeles residency

·         Current California Driver’s License or Current California Identification Card, indicating an address in the City of Los Angeles
·         Recent utility bill, with your name or current City of Los Angeles address may be used if the address on the California Driver’s License or California Identification Card is outside the City of Los Angeles.

4. Check, money order or cashiers check payable to LAPD in the amount of $17.00 (do not send cash).

Please contact the R&I Division – CSRRU unit at (213) 486-8320 if you have any questions regarding these procedures.

California Department of Justice
The California Department of Justice (DOJ) will provide a statewide criminal clearance if you are an immigration applicant and you have been directed to obtain California or local clearances by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, by a United States consulate or embassy, or by a foreign government for emigration from the United States.  For recorded DOJ clearance letter information, call 916-227-3822.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
You may also request a clearance letter for the purposes of immigration, emigration and visas from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).  The FBI furnishes national clearances directly to the embassy or consulate that is processing the applicant.  For further information regarding an FBI clearance letter, please call the FBI at 304-625-5590.

False Personation
If you believe that someone used your name when they were arrested by the LAPD or that your name is wrongly attached to an LAPD warrant, a Certificate of Clearance Regarding Arrest can be issued if our investigation results in a determination that you are wrongly listed on the arrest or warrant. Please call 213-486-8320 for further instructions.

Petition for Expungement
Individuals desiring to have convictions changes to non-convictions should visit:

Los Angeles Superior Court – (213-628-7700)
210 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA

Sealing of Arrest Records – Adult
If you were arrested by the LAPD and never went to court as a result of the arrest, and you believe that the arrest was in error because you were clearly not the person involved and/or the alleged incident never took place, please contact  CSRRU at 213-486-8320.

You can mail Form BCIA 8270 (CALDOJ) to:

P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030
(for Petition to Seal and Destroy Arrest Records (pursuant to Penal Code Section 851.8)

Sealing of Arrest Records – Juvenile

For information regarding the sealing of juvenile arrest records, please visit:

County Clerk’s Sealing Clerk – (323-226-8998)
1601 Eastlake Avenue
Los Angeles, Ca