questions - what to do - how to obtain - top 5

Traffic Collision Questions

What should I do if I get in a traffic collision?

  1. If anybody is hurt, or any driver is intoxicated call 911.
  2. If there are not injuries, but a hit and run occurred, or any driver is unlicensed, call 1-877-ASK-LAPD or (1-877-275-5273) to report the accident.
  3. If there are not any injuries and all parties have a driver license exchange information. This involves exchanging driver license information, registration, insurance information, and driver’s telephone number. No report will be completed by the LAPD for this type of collision.
  4. If you have struck a stationary object or parked vehicle provide your information with the owner of the property/vehicle. You can leave your information on a piece of paper on the windshield of the vehicle struck or in the mail box for the property you damaged. No report will be completed by the LAPD for this type of collision.
  5. If a traffic collision report had been taken and you would like to obtain a copy of the report call 213-486-8130.
  6. To file an online traffic collision report for insurance purposes (includes Misdemeanor Hit & Run and minor injuries). Go to link

How can I obtain a copy of a traffic report?

To obtain a copy of a traffic report, you must mail your request to Records & Identification Division. Traffic reports can be released to authorized persons such as the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 20012 of the Vehicle Code.

To obtain a copy of a traffic report, please provide:

A check or money order payable to the LAPD in the amount of $18.00 (do not send cash). This fee may be refunded if it is determined that no report exists.  If you receive notification that no report exists, please complete a City of Los Angeles Claim for Refund form and return it to the City Clerk’s Office.

  1. The location and the party(ies) involved in the collision, if known

  2. The insurance policy number if the requestor is an insurance company

  3. A release from an involved party if the request is from an attorney

  4. The type of report – traffic

  5. The date and location of occurrence

  6. A report (DR) number, if known

  7. The vehicle license number, when applicable

Mail to:
Los Angeles Police Department
Records and Identification Division
Document Processing Unit
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030


What are the top five traffic violations that cause traffic collisions?

21703 (a) VC – Following too close.

You must follow the vehicle in front of you a distance that allows you to stop, no matter how quickly that vehicle stops. The three (3) second rule will allow you to easily judge this distance. The three second rule indicates that if you see the vehicle in front of you pass a object (i.e. cross walk line, light pole, etc) you should not pass that same object in less than three seconds.

21453 (a) VC – Failing to stop for red signal lights.

California law recently doubled the fine for red light violations.

23152 (a) VC – Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

22350 VC – Speeding.

In excess of the posted speed limit, or driving at any speed that is unsafe, based on the conditions present (rain, fog and other conditions may dictate that even the posted speed is not safe.)

21801 (a) VC – Left turns.

A driver may not negotiate a left turn when another vehicle is approaching head on, that is so close as to be a hazard.