Yes. You are required by law to obtain an alarm permit. See below for the cost.
The cost for an alarm permit is $43 and are renewable yearly. The cost to renew your alarm permit is $26 each year.
Operating an alarm system without a valid permit is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or a year in county jail or both. Violators that are ordered to appear in court may be required to pay additional fines and penalty assessments as a result of the criminal case being filed in the County of Los Angeles Superior Court.
Yes. Under the revised Alarm Ordinance, a late penalty of $15 will be imposed for renewing your alarm permit from January 1 to March 31st. Alarm permits renewed after March 31st will be assessed a late penalty of $30, in addition to the renewal fee.
Yes. Alarm permits are free of charge for the following only:
* Alarm systems at premises owned and operated by municipal, county, state, federal authorities or agencies, or as embassy or consular office or residence.
* Alarm systems at residential premises that are not monitored by an alarm company or any monitoring device.
* Provide your new alarm company with your alarm permit number;
* Submit an updated call list to the new alarm company;
* Confirm in writing any special arrangements with the new alarm company;
* Clarify the new alarm company’s verification procedures.
* Obtain the new alarm company’s 24-hour monitoring center to ensure that you could check the status of your alarm system at anytime.
Contact the Office of Finance (Finance.email@example.com) to report a change in legal name and/or address. Please note that a legal name and/or address change requires a $43 fee. There is no fee to report a change in phone number or mailing address.
The alarm call will be handled in the same manner whether you are permitted or un-permitted. Please see the Burglar Alarm Dispatch Policy for more details. However, false alarms at un-permitted locations will be subject to a $100 penalty after the first occurrence, and escalate in $100 increments thereafter.
Send a written cancellation request to the Office of Finance, Alarm Unit, P.O. Box 53235, Los Angeles, CA 90053 or (Finance.firstname.lastname@example.org).