Permit Requirements for Dance Hall

Dance Hall P529
Los Angeles Police Commission Police Permit Requirements

Reference: L.A.M.C. 103.106/Board rules: None

Dance Hall is any location in which the general public is invited to dance. Dance club is any location that provides dancing for members only or invited guests only.

Exceptions: If a location is granted a dance hall permit, no live entertainment permit is required for live musical groups if used in conjunction with dancing.

Who must apply?: All legal owners of the business must apply

A) Corporations: at least three corporate officers
B) Partnership: all general partners (not limited or silent partners)
C) Sole proprietorship: legal owner of business (not a manager or other employee)

Documentation Required

  1. Corporations: articles of incorporation and minutes from annual general meeting stating election of officers. Statement of domestic stock.
  2. Partnerships: notarized legal partnership agreement (state form, all partners’ signatures)
  3. Purchase agreement (of business) i.e. Escrow documents or mortgages
  4. Deed or lease to the location
  5. Zoning approval (referral slip) from department of building and safety
  6. Copy of current liquor license (ABC license)

Conditional Use
Department of planning requires that any location that has never possessed a dance hall police permit must first obtain a conditional use permit from zoning administration.

Note: Hotels, catering halls, and schools are exempt from the C.U.P. requirement.

Posting: Location must be posted for 21 days.

Publishing: Notice of application must be published in a local newspaper two times, 5 days apart, within the 21 day protest period.

Inspection: Property will be inspected by commission staff upon receipt of application.