LAPD Encourages Responsible 4th of July Weekend Celebrations Several DUI Checkpoints and Special Patrols to Be in Effect NA11146kr
Independence Day commemorates our freedom from the rule of Great Britain and the adoption of our Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. While this is a great cause for celebration, Independence Day weekend has become an occasion during which some celebrate and drink irresponsibly. And those who take to the road while driving under the influence (DUI) create a tremendous public safety concern. The Los Angeles Police Department recommends the followings tips to ensure that all residents and visitors to Los Angeles can enjoy a safe and sane Independence Day:
In the LAPD’s ongoing effort to save lives, keep the streets safe and keep drunk drivers off the road, the following DUI enforcement activities will be conducted over the holiday weekend:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Designate a sober driver.
- Leave your car keys at home.
- Call a taxi, friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely.
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road.
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
These enforcement activities have been funded through a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, targeting those who still don’t heed the message to designate a sober driver. For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Emergency Operations Division, at 213-486-0703.
- July 1, 2011 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in LAPD’s Devonshire Area on Reseda Boulevard at Nordhoff Street
- July 1, 2011 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. in LAPD’s North Hollywood Area on Lankershim Boulevard at Cumpston Street
- July 2, 2011 (Saturday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in LAPD’s Southwest Area on Figueroa Street at 40th Place
- July 3, 2011 (Sunday) – DUI Saturation Patrol from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. in LAPD’s Foothill Area
- July 3, 2011 (Sunday) – DUI Saturation Patrol from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. in LAPD’s Harbor Area
- July 4, 2011 (Monday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. in LAPD’s West Los Angeles Area on Pacific Coast Highway at Temescal Canyon Road.