Downtown Los Angeles header image
Los Angeles Police Department Memorial BadgeLos Angeles Police Department Badge

Official Site of The LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT

Community Relations Unit

In 2007, the Los Angeles Police Department's Communications Division received 3.8 million calls.  Approximately 56% of the calls were emergencies.  The remaining 44% were transferred from 911 to police non-emergency operators, dialed directly from seven-digit numbers or transferred from outside agencies.  Misuse and inappropriate use of 9-1-1 critically overburdens the emergency system, exhausts resources, and poses a significant risk to public safety.

In February 1999, a full time Communications Division Community Relations Unit (CRU) was established.  The main focus of CRU is 9-1-1 education.  Presentations are conducted through local schools, Neighborhood Watch meetings, Basic Car Plan meetings, Community Police Advisory Board meetings, Police Station Open Houses, and City and State sponsored events.  All presentations are designed to reduce the incidence of 9-1-1 abuse and misuse, as well as provide instruction on how and when to most effectively use the 9-1-1 system.  Presentations include comprehensive visual and audio materials in addition to printed and promotional items. 

The main goal of CRU is promoting 9-1-1 education to elementary school children, primarily between Kindergarten and the 2nd grades.  The "9-1-1 for Kids" presentations are an educational and entertaining way to instruct children on the proper use of 9-1-1.  Our goal is to teach children the "Who, what, where, when and how" during an emergency.

Community Relations Unit has worked diligently to educate and increase the public's awareness of the 1-877-ASK-LAPD non-emergency dispatch number.  The system was designed to help reduce the number of non-emergency calls to 9-1-1 operators.  Tremendous progress has been made to decrease the number of non-emergency calls on 9-1-1.  1-877-ASK-LAPD is also available in Spanish, and there is a Language Bank for languages used around the world.  TTY is also available for the hearing and speech impaired.

The Community Relations Unit is also active in the Police Service Representative (PSR) recruitment effort, attending job fairs and career centers throughout the Los Angeles area.  CRU conducts recruitment presentations and directs potential applicants to www.lacity.org to submit job applications and/or obtain general information.

For more information on how to schedule a presentation or a tour of the Metropolitan Communications Dispatch Center or Valley Communications Dispatch Center, contact CRU at 213-978-6510 or 213-978-6511.