Co-Chair Penny Meyer
Don LeStrange * Lenny Nelson * Prudy Schultz * Don Schultz * Paul Anand * Cheryl Cashman * Wendy Barnard * George Thomas * Josef Lazarovitz * Judith Hirshberg * Bob Cupples * Marilyn K. Teldman * Christopher Villa * Andrea Jones
Also in attendance were:
Captain Minsal * Guillermo Marquez - Council District 6 * Teen CPAB
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by C-PAB Co-Chair Penny Meyer. She welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance also went around the room, and introduced themselves.
Announcements and Upcoming Events:
• Captain Minsal announced that the Department is already working on holiday events. He discussed COMPSTAT meeting in detail. He advised that Van Nuys is down 10% in overall crime from this time last year. Captain Minsal explained statistical numbers for the different types of crimes. In Violent Crimes the Division has had six murders. He stated five to six cases have been filed and have gone to trials. Aggravated assaults are a little high, 203 total to date. The property crimes are also creeping. Robberies peaked in Auto Thefts mainly on older model Honda Civics. The Van Nuys Area Narcotics Unit has been working on enforcement of medical marijuana clinics. He also discussed how well the Parole Compliance Unit is doing. They have conducted 103 Parole Checks and have had 59 arrests as a result of it. Captain Minsal advised that the Van Nuys Area Vice Unit is working continuously on solving the issues concerning prostitution on Sepulveda Boulevard and other areas in Van Nuys. They had 18 arrests just in the month of August. He explained the importance of rotating vice officers after a two year tour in order not to compromise their undercover assignment. He explained to the committee that vice officers often have to swap between other vice officers from other divisions. The reason for this, is that it may become difficult to catch violators who have become familiar with their faces. Captain Minsal discussed Constitutional Policing. Captain Minsal concluded by thanking everyone for their attendance and cooperation with Van Nuys Area in an effort to make a difference in the community.
• Penny Meyer spoke about the CPAB Summit, November 1, 2014 event. The event will be from 0700-1300 and all members must RSVP. Captain Minsal advised that transportation will be provided for those who want to respond from the Van Nuys Station.
• Guillermo Marquez CD-6 spoke on the success of the movie nights that were held during the month of August at the Van Nuys Civic Center Courtyard. He thanked all the Senior Lead officers, Van Nuys family, and Teen CPAB members who volunteered to make the event a success. Marquez also discussed the Five (5) Steps to Neighborhood Preparedness.
• Cheryl Cashman presented the Map Your Neighborhood project. She discussed the Neighborhood Disaster Readiness booklet and went over the responsibilities of each member of the community in case of an emergency.
• Penny Meyer discussed the Summit Accomplishments of the two (2) clean-up projects. She stated she was pleased with the 12 young kids who came out to help clean up around The Jons Market and the area on Van Nuys Boulevard.
• Andrea Jones discussed the Alcoholism Center for Women 40th Anniversary Celebration. She strongly encouraged everyone that can attend to stop by and show their support.
• Penny Meyer acknowledged Carrie Konjoyan’s hard work in putting together the event for the 9-11 Memorial. It was a great success and she was thanked for her dedication. Teen CPAB discussed the idea of commending her with a placard.
• EPP Committee - Cheryl Cashman spoke about the Valley Disaster Fair on 9/27 in
North Hills at Balboa Fire Station 87. She advised other dates to keep in mind are 10/15,10/16, and 10/22.
• Technology Committee - Bob Cupples briefly discussed the websites and advised that so far it has been successful.
• Homeless Committee - Don LeStrange advised they are working on the website to get the information out to the public for the upcoming Summit for the Homeless project.
• Teen CPAB talked about brainstorming ideas to educate the community more on the topic of Sex Trafficking, since it continues to be an on-going issue in the Van Nuys Area.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on Thursday, October 9, 2014, at 6:30 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station Community Room.