Van Nuys AreaCommunity-Police Advisory Board
May 9, 2013
Captain Ivan Minsal, Co-Chair Penny Meyer, C-PAB members: Richard Adams, Evelina Aleksandroskaya, Cheryl Cashman, Bob Cupples, Jack Hash, Kenneth Heinsius, Andrea Jones, Don Le Strange, Veronica Marquez, Damon Martin, Leonard Nelson, Nevena Orbach, Stuart Orbach and George Thomas. Also in attendance were: SLO OIC Sgt. II Tarek Ismail, OIC Vice unit Ron Fischer. Community Guest: Andrew Dallas, Franne Goldstein, Karan Dhillon, Paul Anand, Tomas Moreno and David Berman.
The meeting was called to order at 6:42 p.m., by C-PAB Co-Chair Penny Meyer. She welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance also went around the room, and introduced themselves.
• Saturday, May 11, 2013 - “Garden Party” Community Clean-up - 6753 Katherine Avenue, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
• Saturday, June 15, 2013 - Cadet Graduation. Times and location to be announced.
Captain Minsal presented Miriam Berman with a certification of appreciation for her project honoring police officers who died in the line of duty.
• Sergeant Ron Fisher spoke about the type of operations the Vice Unit is doing to combat prostitution, human trafficking, and sales of alcohol to minors.
• Van Nuys sent two participants to the Annual Baker to Vegas Challenge Cup Relay Race. Captain Minsal and Sergeant II Tarek Ismail represented our station.
• The C-PAB Co-Chair symposium was represented by Captain Minsal, Penny Meyer, and Sergeant II Tarek Ismail. This event had Co-Chair representation from all of the LAPD Divisions.
• The LAPD Gun Buy Back Program was held on Saturday, May 4, 2013, at the Masonic Temple on Sherman Way in Van Nuys, and at the end of the day they had collected 419 guns.
• Sergeant II Tarek Ismail was honored for graduating from The Franklin Kolbe Seven Habits for Law Enforcement from the Carolina Institute for Community Policing.
Crime Update: Captain Ivan Minsal
Crime this month in Van Nuys Area is down 6% as a result of public education. By getting people to change their behavior by locking their cars, shutting the garage and keeping the drapes shut when they are not home has resulted in a decrease in the crime rates here in Van Nuys. Also, Captain Minsal discussed Constitutional Policing.
Membership and Outreach - Josh Rubenstein
Josh Rubenstein and his committee have nothing to report at this time.
Emergency Preparedness Committee - Cheryl Cashman
Our Emergency Preparedness Committee (EPT) is working to establish contacts with other neighborhood councils to better communicate and share information in the event of a disaster. The next event is the Great Shake Out in October.
Blight Abatement Committee - Penney Meyer
We have observed Van Nuys Boulevard for the past six weeks to identify problems in the
Van Nuys Area of graffiti, homeless, and illegal signage on the sidewalks. We are seeing some changes, and have been taking pictures to show some of our successes these past few weeks.
Special Events Committee - Jack Hash
The deadline for submission of your recipe is June 13, 2013. You can either fill in the form or submit them to Penny or Jack Hash.
Technology Committee - Bob Cupples
I would like to ask all committee chairpersons to think about what they would like on the web site for their committees.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:02 p.m.
The next meeting will be held Thursday, June 13, 2013, at 6:30 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station Community Room.