|Van Nuys Area
Community-Police Advisory Board Minutes
October 10, 2014
Also in attendance were:
Captain Ivan Minsal
Captain John McMahan
Sergeant II Tarek Ismail
Guillermo Marquez and Lynda Levitan
Council District 6
Nikki Ezhari Council District 2
Sandy Logan and Brenda Villanueva • Communities in Action
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m., by Sergeant II Tarek Ismail. He welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance also went around the room, and introduced themselves.
• C-PAB Summit November 1, 2014
• Captain Minsal introduced Captain McMahon. Captain Minsal spoke about aggravated assaults still being high in Van Nuys. He encouraged CPAB members to come together and inform the community about securing their homes, vehicles, and personal property during the holiday season. Also, Captain Minsal discussed Constitutional Policing.
• Captain McMahon introduced himself and then spoke about his approach for an equal role between police and the community.
• Communities in Action guest speakers spoke about their program and how it affects the community regarding underage drinking. Their plan is to educate parents and the public on how to deal with Drug/Alcohol issues in their homes. They also discussed ways to detect underage drinking, and ways they can prevent this from happening. They also spoke about monitoring the store owners to prevent the sales of alcohol to minors. They will try and identify the problem locations and find solutions to keeping children from obtaining alcohol.
• Sergeant Ismail spoke about Children’s Day scheduled for November 15, 2014. The location will be Delano Park from 0900-1430 hours. He asked CPAB members for assistance during this event.
• San Fernando Valley Chambers Clean-up Orange Line on November 8th from 8:00 a.m.-1200 p.m., location to be announced. Teen CPAB will be participating.
• Great Shake Out on October 16th, at 10:16 a.m., DROP, COVER, HOLD.
• Cynthia Antokal spoke about the sad loss of long time Van Nuys/North Hollywood area Volunteer Rick Crivier.
• Quality of Life Issues, Homeless Committee - Don LeStrange announced that the committee is working with PATH to come join them at the Homeless Summit and focus on the CD6 projects.
• Emergency Preparedness Committee - Cheryl Cashman
• Technology Committee - Bob Cupples is working on ideas for the upcoming video on Children’s Day.
• Teen C-PAB - Ruth Nunez announced they have had two clean-ups, the Animal Shelter and Orange Line. Currently, there are about 12 teen members and so far the project is going well.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on Thursday, November 13, 2014, at 6:30 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station Community Room.