Van Nuys AreaCommunity-Police Advisory Board
MinutesOctober 10, 2013
Captain Ivan Minsal, Co-Chair Penny Meyer. C-PAB Members: Cynthia Antokal, Linda Brooks, Bob Cupples, Andrea Jones, Judith Hirshberg, Carrie Konjoyan, Leonard Nelson, Cheryl Cashman, Josh Rubenstein, David Rankell,Don Schultz, Prudy Schultz, Nevena Orbach, Stuart Orbach, George Thomas, Josef Lazarovitz, Don Le Strange, Jeff Siegel, Paul Anand, Fran Goldstein, Karan Dhillan. Also in attendance were: Sgt. II Tarek Ismail, Sgt. Amy Standage, SLO Katy Paschal, SLO Jose Verdin, Officer Garcia, Officer Mohommad. Community Guest: Alice Ramirez Roth – Deputy District Director Councilmember Tom LaBonge, Talene Dermenjian – Field Representative Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian, Daniel Hernandez LA Parks & Rec., Franne Goldstein – Principal Van Nuys Middle School, Gary Fitleberg, Sandra Vaca-Roman, Wendy Barnard, Ruth Nunez.
The meeting was called to order at 6:42 p.m., by C-PAB Co-Chair Penny Meyer. She welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance also went around the room, and introduced themselves.
• C-PAB Summit 20th Anniversary, Saturday, November 9, 2013, at 8:00 a.m., at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel
• Our next C-PAB meeting will be a bus ride meeting with our SLO’s to look at the problem areas of the division. The Meeting will be November 14, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. This will be a great opportunity for us to build our C-PAB team.
• The Los Tres Hermanos Restaurant will be hosting “TACO WEDNESDAY” fundraisers in the Van Nuys Courthouse Mall (in front of the Police Station) to benefit the Station on Wednesdays, October 16th and 30th and November 13th and 30th, from 11:00 a.m. -
• Dine Out L.A.P.D will be held Monday, October 21, 2013, at Oliva Trattoria restaurant to benefit the Mid-Valley Jeopardy program. Lunch is from 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. and dinner will be served 5:00 p.m - 9:30 p.m.
• The Great American Shake out will be held October 17, 2013, at 10:17 a.m. At this time, we are to “Drop, cover and hold.” This is a good time to make sure that those around you know what to do, and have a plan in the event of an emergency.
• Pancake Breakfast was held on Saturday, October 5th 2013, at the Van Nuys Station from 7:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., and was a great success.
• Officer Mohommadi spoke to us about the upcoming C-PAB Summit. The invitations were sent and it is important to RSVP and have your current up-to-date Identification Card to attend this event. We have a great summit planned for you.
• The results of the election will be presented at our next Meeting.
Crime Update: Captain Ivan Minsal
Our year-to-date stats for violent crimes are down 15% this year. Our property crimes are up 2% this year, and Burglary from Motor Vehicles is up 12% from last year. The problem is not enough law enforcement to educate the public. Remember our slogan of “Lock it, Hide it, Keep it.” Captain Minsal reminded everyone about Constitutional Policing.
• Bylaws - Kenneth Heinsius will be working with revisions to our bylaws to make them current.
• C-PAB Participation: Penny wants to make sure that all members are on one or more committees.
• Committee Sign Up Sheets
• Election Results
Neighborhood Watch Committee Chairman - Jeff Siegel
Jeff spoke about the Neighborhood Watch and how important it is to the Van Nuys Area.
Quality of Life Issues, Homeless Committee - Don LeStrange
We met with Tom LaBonge and his homeless committee to work with services and housing assistance. The Council Office is also going to look into more funding for the homeless projects in the Van Nuys Division.
Membership and Outreach - Josh Rubenstein
Universal City is having an emergency preparedness fair on October 19, 2013, and we have been asked to join with North Hollywood C-PAB at their booth. Let us set up another bus ride to go thru the Division’s hot spots with crime.
Emergency Preparedness Committee - Cheryl Cashman
Our EPT is available and has been working with the SLO’s to get our neighborhoods better prepared. We do not have many events, so if you have a Neighborhood Watch meeting and you need an EPP speaker then contact Cheryl Cashman.
Blight Abatement Committee - Penny Meyer
We finished up our project with the Council Office for the Van Nuys Boulevard blight abatement and clean up enforcement issues.
Technology Committee - Bob Cupples
The C-PAB technology committee is looking for members to write articles for our web page, and to help out with multi-media presentations for community involvement.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:46 p.m.
The next meeting will meet Thursday, November 14, 2013, at 2:00 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station, for the bus ride meeting of Van Nuys.