Van Nuys C-PAB Meeting Minutes
Van Nuys Area
Community Police Advisory Board Minutes
August 13, 2015
Captain Lillian Carranza
Captain Andrew Neiman
Co-Chair Penny Meyer
Also in attendance were:
Sgt. I Maria Pedroza
Officer Michelle Lopez
Senior Lead Officer Erika Kirk
Senior Lead Officer Trenton Berry
Senior Lead Officer Jose Saldana
Senior Lead Officer Tony Cabunoc
Senior Lead Officer Kathryn Paschal
Officer Julio De Leon
Officer Ralph Brown
Officer John Bailey
Officer Saul Guardado
Officer Hector Pereida
Sgt I Cline (Bike Unit)
The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m., by C-PAB Co-Chair Penny Meyer. She welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance went around the room and introduced themselves.
• Captain Neiman welcomed members and spoke regarding the success of Van Nuys.
He gave C-PAB an update on Van Nuys crime statistics and efforts being made to combat crime by public awareness, “Hide it, Lock it, Keep it” and requests assistance from C-PAB members.
• Captain Neiman advised members of two new positions being filled. Lieutenant
Albert Gavin will be the new Officer-in-Charge of Van Nuys Detectives, and Sergeant II
Rudolph Valadez will be the Officer-in-Charge of the Community Relations Office.
• Captain Neiman advised members of Sergeant Hanna’s beautification projects including a mural being painted currently downstairs, and plans to clean up and replace outside shrubbery.
• Angie Aramayo, from Council Office Adrian Nazarian’s Office, greeted members and advised of her intentions on attending monthly meetings, and working in partnership with C-PAB on addressing community needs.
• City Attorney Tamar updated members on what is being done with the on-going homeless encampments, and laws regarding unattended property.
• Coffee with a Cop will be held September 5, 2015, at 7045 Van Nuys Blvd. (McDonald’s parking lot) between 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 am.
• Cops and Cowboys will be September 12, 2015, at Leonis Adobe in Calabasas.
• September 11th Fire Station 88 will be hosting a Memorial to honor the anniversary of 9/11.
• Officer Appreciation Day will be held September 22, 2015, at Van Nuys Station with the unavailing of the Van Nuys Mural and award presentations.
• Nominations for a new Co-Chair of C-PAB were held. Cheryl Cashman and Christopher Villa were nominated. Elections to be held on September 10, 2015, at the next C-PAB meeting.
• Officer Guardado and Officer Pereida of the new Van Nuys Community Improvement Car, along with Sergeant Cline and members of the Van Nuys Bike Unit, presented
C-PAB with photos of enforcement being done to assist with the homeless encampments and offenders.
Neighborhood Watch Committee Chairman -
Quality of Life Issues, Homeless Committee -
Membership and Outreach - Emergency Preparedness Committeee - Cheryl Cashman
Blight Abatement Committee - Penney Meyer
Technology Committeee - Bob Cupples
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.
The next meeting will be held on Thursday, September 10, 2015, at 6:30 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station Community Room.