|Van Nuys Area
Community-Police Advisory Board Minutes
January 9, 2014
Captain Ivan Minsal,
Co-Chair Penny Meyer
Don Le Strange
Also in attendance were:
Deputy Chief Jorge Villegas
Sgt. II Tarek Ismail
Officer Michelle Lopez
SLO Katy Paschal
SLO Trent Berry
SLO Jose Saldana
SLO Tony Cabunoc
SLO Steve Underwood
SLO Vincent DiMauro
Lynda Levitans - Council District 6, Guillermo Marquez - Council District 6 Gary Fitleberg
The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m., by C-PAB Co-Chair Penny Meyer. She welcomed all those in attendance. All those in attendance also went around the room, and introduced themselves.
• Lynda Levitan and Guillermo Marquez from Council Office 6 spoke to C-PAB about working with the SLO’s to start more Neighborhood Watch meetings.
• Alice Roth from CD 4 advised of new office opening on Ventura Boulevard and Colbath.
• Gun Buy Back was held on December 14th and was very successful.
• Crime statistics were addressed by Captain Minsal and where we stand in comparison citywide. He addressed the efforts being made to have a positive effect on Part I crimes.
• Deputy Chief Villegas spoke regarding his commitment to work in partnership to reduce crime in 2014. His goal is to achieve a 3% reduction in Part I crimes, 10% reduction in Gang Crime, and 10% reduction in Traffic related A and K’s (Major injury and fatalities).
• Deputy Chief Vegas requested four (4) goals to be met by CPAB Members
1. Front Desk Operations
2. Outreach – New membership into CPAB
3. Crime Trends – Promote Lock it- Hide it- Keep it, Social Media
4. Emergency Preparedness
• Deputy Chief Villegas also advised members of an upcoming State of the Valley Public Safety Town Hall Meeting to be held on Wednesday, January 29, 2014, at 6:00 p.m., at Van Nuys City Hall.
• “The Road to 50” - The Van Nuys Station will be turning 50 years of age and we will be beautifying the Station by painting and volunteering our time so we can present the Station in June 2014 for her 50th anniversary.
• Captain Minsal spoke about the Mid-Valley Community Police Council and recruiting new members. Also invited members to Mid-Valley Community Meeting to discuss “Cops and Cowboys” and “The Road to 50.” The meetings are held at 7:00 a.m., on the first Tuesday of the month, in the Community Room at Valley Presbyterian Hospital.
The committees met for 45 minutes to discuss their goal setting for the next year.
Neighborhood Watch Committee Chairman - Jeff Siegel
Quality of Life Issues, Homeless Committee - Don LeStrange
Membership and Outreach - Josh Rubenstein
Emergency Preparedness Committeee - Cheryl Cashman
Blight Abatement Committee - Penney Meyer
Technology Committee - Bob Cupples
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 p.m.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, February 13, 2014, at 6:30 p.m., in the Van Nuys Station Community Room.