Thursday, September 2, 2010
LAPD Sobriety Checkpoints - Designate a Driver before the Labor Day Party BeginsWHAT:
LAPD’s Citywide Sobriety Checkpoints
Friday, September 3, 2010 through Monday, September 6, 2010
- September 3, 2010 (Friday) in Southeast Area at Manchester Avenue and Hoover Street from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- September 3, 2010 (Friday) in Northeast Area at Sunset Boulevard and Sutherland Avenue from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- September 3, 2010 (Friday) in Newton Area at Slauson Avenue and Olive Street from 7 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- September 4, 2010 (Saturday) in Southwest Area at Jefferson Boulevard and Western Avenue from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- September 4, 2010 (Saturday) in Pacific Area at Washington Boulevard and Stanford Avenue from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- September 4, 2010 (Saturday) in West Valley Area at Reseda Boulevard and Ventura Boulevard from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- September 5, 2010 (Sunday) in Harbor Area at Harbor Boulevard and 1st Street from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- September 6, 2010 (Monday) in Pacific Area at Venice Boulevard and Abbot Kinney Boulevard from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Labor Day is a National holiday to celebrate the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations. Unfortunately, Labor Day weekend has become a holiday associated with the overindulgence of alcohol and drunk driving. To ensure a safe Labor Day Weekend, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
- Designate a sober driver;
- Leave your car keys at home;
- Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
- Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
- Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Traffic Coordination Section, at 213-486-0703.