Whether it is gathering with friends, visiting a local restaurant or bar, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) encourages the public to celebrate Cinco de Mayo responsibly by designating a sober driver. In order to ensure public safety, the LAPD will have additional officers focused on the following DUI enforcement activities:
• DUI Checkpoint from 6 PM to 11 PM at Manchester Avenue & Budlong Avenue
• DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 PM to 1 AM in Hollenbeck Area
• DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 PM to 1 AM in Foothill Area
• DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 PM to 1 AM in Hollywood Area
• DUI Saturation Patrol from 6 PM to 2 AM in Southeast Area
"Don’t ruin the celebrations by putting yourself and others at risk and driving impaired," Commander Woodyard, Commanding Officer, Traffic Group, said. "If you’re planning on drinking, plan on getting a sober ride home."
The LAPD also reminds the public that in addition to alcohol, drugs may also impair, including marijuana. Always be sure to check your medications and avoid driving after ingesting if there is a "do not operate heavy machinery," "may cause drowsiness" or other warning label.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.