Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Crosswalk Awareness Detail (Vanowen Street/Columbus Avenue)
Start of News Conference
Columbus Avenue Elementary
6700 Columbus Avenue
Van Nuys, CA 91405
Councilmember Nury Martinez, City of Los Angeles 6th Council District
Chief Steven Zipperman, Los Angeles School Police Department
Captain Maureen Ryan, Valley Traffic Division, Los Angeles Police Department
Captain LaTonya Allen, City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation
Lieutenant Jones, City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation
School will be back in session this week and the Los Angeles Police Department’s Valley Traffic Division wants to remind drivers to pay extra attention to the roadway due to an increase in traffic. We want all our children to have a safe return to school.
The Los Angeles Unified School District has over 1,100 schools and 655,000 children in attendance. The motoring public and parents need to practice safe driving at and near schools. Traffic congestion is a significant safety hazard throughout the City of Los Angeles for school children.
Parents need to discuss bus, pedestrian and bicycle safety with their children and prepare them for a safe school year. Parents dropping off their children are reminded to obey all traffic laws and if available use the Safety Valet Program. They need to be vigilant and utilize patience when near a school.
In order to promote awareness for back-to-school traffic safety, officers from the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles School Police Department will be conducting a School Zone Crosswalk Awareness Detail at the crosswalk located at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Vanowen Street. A press conference will follow.
Be a Responsible Parent and practice the following good driver tips:
• Allow Extra Time: Do not arrive late or at the last minute. Prepare the night before and leave your house early so you do not need to rush.
• Reduce Speed: The maximum speed near a school is 25 miles per hour. However, slower speeds are recommended when children are present. Speed is the number one cause of collisions around schools.
• Obey Stop Signs: Make a complete stop. Be vigilant. Look for children stepping off the sidewalk.
• No Double Parking: Double parking impedes traffic flow. Never let a child exit a double parked vehicle.
• Avoid U-Turns: U-turns near the school cause congestion. Do so only at an intersection if permitted.
• Do Not Park in a Red Zone: The curb is red due to safety reasons. Parking in the red often obstructs the view of other drivers which could result in a collision with a child or other vehicle.
For more school safety information on walking, biking, or school bus tips visit lapdonline.org or NHTSA.org.
For more information, please contact Sergeant Stephen Egan 818-644-8146 or the Valley Traffic Division Watch Commander at 818-644-8010.