Drowning Claims Two Lives

September 10, 2002

Los Angeles: On Monday, September 9, 2002, at approximately 11:30 p.m., Pacific Area uniformed officers responded to a "Women Screaming" radio call, at the beach area, near 64th Avenue and Speedway, in the Playa Del Rey area.
Upon their arrival the officers were met by four female witnesses who informed them that two of their friends were swept in the ocean and had not come out. The officers removed their leather equipment belt and boots and dove into the dark ocean to search for the victims. After a few minutes searching the heavy surf, the officers located the floating bodies of the two victims and pulled them out of the water. The officers immediately performed Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) procedures on the two victims, aided by other officers who had responded to the emergency call. Ultimately the Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics arrived at the scene and relieved the officers in their effort to revive the victims. Unfortunately, the victims did not respond to the CPR procedure and were pronounced dead by the paramedics at the scene.
The victims have been identified as 24 year-old Kenitha Saafir, a resident of Compton, and 22 year-old Kristin High, a resident of Los Angeles.
This incident is being investigated as an accidental drowning at this time.
This press release was prepared by Public Information Officer Eduardo Funes, Media Relations Section, 213 485-3586.
Updated information as of September 11, 2002
Pacific Area homicide detectives are continuing the investigation involving the drowning deaths of 24 year old Kenitha Saafir and 22 year old Kristin High. Both females were students at California State University of Los Angeles. Although the decedents were pledging for a sorority, those activities do not appear to have caused their unfortunate deaths. Kristin High drowned while attempting to rescue her friend Kenitha Saafir.
Detectives have completed several interviews of witnesses present at the time of the incident. The investigation is still open pending additional interviews and the examination from the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office. The preliminary investigation of the deaths appear to be accidental at this time.