K9 Contact with Hospitalization in Harbor Division – NRF056-23lr

October 9, 2023

**The following information is based on a preliminary and ongoing investigation, which continues to evolve as investigators interview witnesses, review physical and electronic records, and analyze forensic evidence. The Department’s understanding of the facts and circumstances may change as additional evidence is collected and analyzed**

Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department’s Force Investigation Division is investigating a K9 contact with hospitalization that occurred in Harbor Division.

On October 5, 2023, around 9:45 p.m., Harbor Division uniformed Gang Enforcement Detail officers were in the area of M Street and Watson Avenue, when they saw the suspect, later identified as 19-year-old Dion Johnson, in an alley. The officers believed Johnson’s body movements were consistent with someone in possession of a handgun, because he held the front pocket of his sweatshirt. Johnson saw the officers and fled on foot.

As officers broadcast a back-up request and established containment, they lost sight of Johnson. Shortly after, Communications Division received several 911 telephone calls reporting Johnson’s general whereabouts. The Air Unit was overhead and also saw Johnson in the area. Metropolitan Division’s K9 unit was contacted and responded to the scene to conduct a search.

Prior to conducting the search, multiple K9 announcement warnings were given by the Air Unit and by several police vehicles via their public announcement system. During the K9 search, Johnson was in the backyard of the 1100 block of E. Robidoux Street, secreted underneath furniture, where a K9 contact occurred.

Johnson subsequently complied with the officer’s direction and was taken into custody without further incident. Johnson was transported by the Los Angeles Fire Department rescue ambulance to a local hospital where he was admitted for his injury.

A loaded Polymer 80, model PC 940sc, 9mm black semi-automatic pistol, was recovered at scene and was booked as evidence.

No officers or other community members were injured as a result of this incident. Force Investigation Division investigators responded to the scene and are investigating this incident.