LAPD Standoff with Man Who Made Threats to The White House NR09398SF

August 14, 2009

Los Angeles:  Westchester man who refused to communicate with police is taken into custody after nine hours.

On Wednesday, August 12, 2009, a man called 9-1-1, threatening to blow up The White House.  After receiving the call, LAPD Communications Division immediately notified the United States Secret Service of the threat.  

Earlier today, August 13th, Secret Service agents were conducting an investigation at the home of the man who allegedly made the threats against The White House.  The suspect being investigated for the threats also had two warrants out for his arrest.  After seeing the individual driving his red Volkswagen Beetle in the neighborhood, the Secret Service requested officers from LAPD’s Pacific Division to conduct a traffic stop and to assist with taking him into custody.

A Pacific Area patrol sergeant was the first to respond and together the sergeant and the Secret Service agents tried to stop the man while he was driving.  At approximately 10:00 a.m., the suspect refused to stop and talk with the officers and continued to drive.  The officers and agents pursued the man and followed him for about 20 minutes to the Federal Building located at 11000 Wilshire Boulevard in West Los Angeles.  The man ended his attempts to run from police after his car was blocked in by responding officers from the Pacific and West Los Angeles Division.

Officers from the Department’s Metropolitan Division relieved the patrol officers and agents at the scene and established communication with the suspect.  Despite repeated attempts by the crisis negation team, the suspect refused to talk with the officers, exit his Volkswagen and surrender peacefully.  

At around 5:30 p.m., the LAPD SWAT team deployed a non-lethal chemical agent in effort to cause the suspect to get out of his car.  After numerous attempts, the chemical agent appeared to have no effect on the suspect.  SWAT officers used a Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle (TASER) device which incapacitated the suspect allowing officers to take him into custody without incident.

The suspect suffered minor abrasions and was transported to local hospital for observation and medical treatment.  

For more information contact LAPD Media Relations Section at 213-485-3586.