Observe Memorial Day Weekend Responsibly With Your Family and Friends.
Los Angeles: Memorial Day is a time for the Nation to honor the men and women who have sacrificed their lives while serving in the Armed Forces. Unfortunately, Memorial Day weekend has become an excuse for many to party and drink irresponsibly. As a result, a driver driving under the influence (DUI) is a tremendous public safety concern over the Memorial Day weekend. To ensure a safe Memorial Day weekend, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
• Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
• Designate a sober driver;
• Leave your car keys at home;
• Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
• Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and
• Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.
In an effort to keep the streets of Los Angeles safe during the Memorial Day weekend, the LAPD will conduct the following DUI enforcement activities:
• May 26, 2011 (Thursday) – DUI Saturation Patrol from 5 PM to 1 AM in Olympic Area;
• May 27, 2011 (Friday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 7 PM to 3 AM in Devonshire Area on Topanga Canyon Boulevard between Devonshire Street and Chatsworth Street;
• May 28, 2011 (Saturday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 7 PM to 3 AM in Foothill Area on Laurel Canyon Boulevard at Paxton Street;
• May 28, 2011 (Saturday) – Sobriety Checkpoint from 7 PM to 3 AM in Newton Area on Florence Avenue between Main Street and Broadway; and
• May 29, 2011 (Sunday) – DUI Saturation Patrol from Noon to 8 PM in Northeast Area.
Funding for the DUI enforcement activities is provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We can all help make our streets safer, please report Drunk Drivers – Call 911. For further information, please contact Officer Don Inman, Traffic Coordination Section, at 213-486-0703.