One Arrest and Two Still Being Sought in Taft High School Shooting

September 26, 2003

"One Arrest and Two Still Being Sought in Taft High
School Shooting – UPDATE"
Mayor James K. Hahn, Councilmen Dennis P. Zine, Council District 3, Assistant Deputy Chief Jim McDonnell, Chief of Operations, Deputy Chief Ronald Bergmann, Commanding Officer of Operations-Valley Bureau, Captain James H. Cansler, West Valley Area Commanding Officer and Los Angeles Unified School District Officials
Press Conference Announcing an Arrest and Update of the Taft High School Shooting
Friday, September 26, 2003 at 11:00 a.m.
West Valley Area Police Station located at 19020 Vanowen Street, Reseda

Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department has identified three individuals who committed the drive-by shooting near Taft High School which occurred on Tuesday, September 9, 2003.
On Thursday, September 25, 2003, detectives served search warrants at three locations in Van Nuys, Panorama City and Granada Hills, recovering evidence at these locations. One suspect, 20 year-old Kristopher James Govea of Granada Hills, who was the driver of the vehicle during the shooting, was arrested at his home. Govea has been booked for three counts of attempted murder and is being held on one million dollars bail at the Van Nuys Jail.
The shooter has been identified as 20 year-old Terry Boyd Taylor of Van Nuys. He is being sought at this time, as is the third suspect, a passenger in the suspect vehicle, 21 year-old Jeffery Trinell Young. The vehicle used in the shooting, a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant, was located at Govea’s home and has been taken into custody as evidence. The suspects were identified as the result of information received from the public following the shootings.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Terry Boyd Taylor or Jeffery Trinell Young is urged to call the West Valley Homicide Unit at 818-342-0449. During off-hours and on weekends, please call the 24-hour toll free number at the Detective Information Desk,1-877-LAWFULL,1-877-529-3855.
This media advisory was prepared by Public Information Officer Adriana N. Sanchez, Media Relations Section, 213-485-3586.
On September 26, 2003, at 9:30 a.m. Terry Boyd Taylor and Jeffery Trinell Young surrendered themselves at the Van Nuys Police Station. They are currently being questioned and will be booked for three counts of attempted murder.