SWAT Officer Shoots Barricaded Suspect after Suspect Exits, Attacks Officer NRF021-16ma

April 14, 2016

**The following information is based on a preliminary, ongoing investigation which continues to evolve as investigators interview witnesses, review physical and electronic records, and analyze forensic evidence. The Department’s understanding of the facts and circumstances may change as additional evidence is collected and analyzed**

Sylmar: On Tuesday, April 5, 2016, around 7:10 p.m., Mission Area Patrol officers responded to a radio call of a “Male with Mental Illness,” at a residence in the 14700 block of Lakeside Street. When Mission Area officers arrived they were directed inside the residence where they observed two other males and the subject, identified as twenty year-old Cesar Frias. The officers explained that they were there to help him and take him to the hospital. Frias appeared to become agitated despite the officers’ efforts to de-escalate the situation by repeatedly imploring Frias to be calm and cooperate.

Frias remained agitated, initially directing his aggressive physical behavior to the two males and then toward the officers. An officer deployed his TASER in an effort to de-escalate the situation. Although it appeared that Frias was struck by the TASER darts, Frias was not incapacitated. Frias was able to move to an adjacent room, where he slammed the door and barricaded himself in a room in the residence. Officers continued to request Frias to surrender, however he continued to refuse. During the stand-off, Frias armed himself with a knife and a pair of scissors, at which time the officers used a bean bag shotgun, which failed to gain his compliance or submission.

SWAT responded, assisted by a Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT), in an attempt to have Frias surrender himself. SWAT deployed gas and Frias exited the residence. Frias was armed with a pair of scissors and charged toward SWAT officers. They used a TASER and bean bag again, but Frias continued to advance on a SWAT officer. Frias aggressively slashed at the officer with the scissors, cutting the officer’s forearm, and continued his attack. Police Officer III Enrique Anzaldo fired one round from his rifle striking Frias who fell to the ground.

Frias was transported by a Los Angeles Fire Department Rescue Ambulance to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injury. The SWAT officer was treated and released at a local hospital for a laceration to his forearm.

A pair of scissors was recovered from Frias.

LAPD’s specialized Force Investigation Division is conducting a thorough investigation of the officer-involved shooting which will be presented to the Chief of Police and the Board of Police Commissioners to determine whether the use of deadly force and tactics employed by the officers complied with LAPD’s policies and procedures. The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office will also review the evidence collected during the investigation to determine whether any criminal laws were violated.

Anyone with additional information regarding this incident is urged to call the LAPD at any of the following numbers:

During business hours at (213) 486-5230; During non-business hours or on weekends at (877)-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247); Anonymously 24-hours a day to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477) or by texting “LAPD” and your tip to phone number 274637 (C-R-I-M-E-S); or Online at www.lapdonline.org and click on “Anonymous Web Tips.